Friday, September 4, 2015

Getting Prepared


If anyone knows me, other than in my career, I am not always the most prepared person on the planet :/  I try really really hard but I think God left that bone out of my body when it comes to my personal life.   The realization that I am going to be out of surgery in less than two weeks has definitely shifted something in me and the “preparedness bone” has been found (I hope it stays).  I have been very blessed to have 3 remarkable women to talk to that have gone through these same surgeries (for either cancer or the gene) that have been walking me through everything I need. 

- I officially registered for my surgery this week and paid my deposit so I thought this would be the perfect post as there is no turning back now.  Eek!!!
- First thing that was order was a Poucharoo -- It’s an awesome little contraption that wraps around my waist so I can tote the 4 drains I’ll have around. 
- Taking it back old school – I got a husband!  I won’t be able to lay down (gotta drain properly) and I won’t be able to get up easily so I was told to get a husband so I can rest comfortably and in my own bed
- Button down shirts and button down pj’s
- Dry shampoo - even though my awesome hair dresser, Laura, is going to go in the Monday after my surgery on her day off to wash my hair - I know going days without showering/washing my hair isn’t going to be the easiest so that is an essential
- Nonstick gauze, peroxide, qtips (pre going to thank Ginny for helping where that is needed)
- Thank you notes (can’t wait to get them from Anne Marie / her company called Jack Paper Co)
- My mom is taking a leave of absence from work to help me esp. when Stephen has to go back to work
- I have made an appointment to get my eye brows and under arms waxed (won’t be able to lift my arms for a while so that one is self-explanatory)
- Pedicure is booked – I need to feel like a girl as much as I can.  You will all be pleased to know that I will not be losing my toe nail :)
- Maid is scheduled to come the day of my surgery to deep clean our house so I am lucky to not have to worry about that
- I am even luckier to have wonderful people in my life to sign up to bring us meals for a couple weeks after my surgery – THANK YOU to those amazing people!

That’s about all I have scheduled/bought for now.  It’s not a sexy post but it sort of stunned me that I am having to get prepared for after my surgery (thanks again for those 3 women) as it is going to be weird not being able to raise my arms for a while. For others that have gone before me, if you think of anything I need please don’t hesitate to contact me, I am always all ears to make my life and those around me easier for bit after my surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment